It is a group of logically related tasks that are performed for achieving business results.
BPM (Business Process Management)
It is a method focused on continuously managing and optimizing an organization’s activities and business processes, including management practices and policies and control processes and metrics, as well as software tools that support all such activities.
The cycle starts with the process modeling stage, where the organization’s business processes are described and graphics tools are used for a better understanding of such processes.
Then comes the process automation stage where the processes modeled in the previous stage are automated with software tools.
Following the automation is the process execution and monitoring stage, where you assess their efficiency and analyze the improvements required to achieve the results expected.
The last stage in the cycle consists of optimizing processes according to the assessment made in the previous stage, and so you go into the modeling stage again.
Because this is a cycle, the methodology oriented at processes does not actually end, since it focuses on the continued improvement of the organization’s business processes.
The Benefits of BPM
Some of the benefits you get from applying this method are:
- Performing an introspective analysis of how tasks are carried out allows you to detect things that are not being done in the manner that is best for maximizing results.
- Documenting its processes allows the organization visibility and transparency, and thus improves communications between actors, as it speeds up the transfer of information in the various stages.
- When you know processes in and out, you are able to measure the impact of changes, either meant for optimizing or determined by the business, since you can gauge the risk and cost implied in applying those changes.
- Having a greater control, with the possibility of knowing the status of processes at any time, to act proactively, for instance in delegating work or reassigning tasks that have not been processed yet.
- Increasing productivity due to the possibility of knowing, at all times, the status of a process and who are handling tasks at a given time.
Here you can see an example of a business process.
Learn about the GeneXus Business Process Managment Suite GX 16