Acronym of Really Simple Syndication.
It's basically an XML based mechanism used to notify news. This mechanism consist of:
- RSS feed. It's an XML file that typically has a list of news, a short description of them and links to the full content.
- RSS reader. It's a program that periodically checks many RSS feeds and display them. There are basically two kinds of reader:
- windows based like SharpReader
- web based like Google Reader. Also all modern browsers like Firefox 2.0 or IE 7.0 have RSS reader capabilities builtin.
This technology is becoming more relevant to the GX community because more and more RSS feed are used not only to publish news but also as a notification mechanism in many applications. For more information about using RSS with GeneXus look at:
- RSS SDT for an SDT that implements the format, so creating an RSS feed is just to fill the SDT and use the ToXml function (since version X)
- RSS Feed Pattern for a pattern that given a Transaction, creates an RSS feed with the last changes.
- As an example see the RSS feed in this wiki in Recent Pages.