SQLCipher is an open source extension to SQLite that provides transparent 256-bit AES encryption of database files.
From the SQLCipher web site:
SQLCipher has a small footprint and great performance so it’s ideal for protecting embedded application databases and is well suited for mobile development.
- Blazing fast performance with as little as 5-15% overhead for encryption
- 100% of data in the database file is encrypted
- Uses good security practices (CBC mode, key derivation)
- Zero-configuration and application level cryptography
- Algorithms provided by the peer reviewed OpenSSL crypto library
SQLCipher has broad platform support for with C/C++, Obj-C, QT, Win32/.NET, Java, Python, Ruby, Linux, Mac OS X, iPhone/iOS, Android, Xamarin.iOS, and Xamarin.Android