This chapter describes the steps to install GeneXus X Evolution 1. Note that you must have Administrator rights to execute the installation and make sure to install with a user with full control on the target installation folder.
Below are detailed instructions for the installation process.
1. Run GeneXus X Evolution 1 installer.
2. A prerequisites check will be performed. In case that one of the following products is not detected in the destination machine, a dialog will be displayed indicating the missing prerequisites: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 or higher, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 sp1, Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 or higher, and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or 2008 (Express or Standard edition). The two first are mandatory to continue with the installation. If Microsoft Visual J# is not detected or not local instance of SQL Server is detected, you can continue installing GeneXus X. In that case you can install them later or, in the case of SQL Server, use a network instance.
4. Optionally you can change the product install path in the dialog box that is displayed. The default directory is c:\Program Files\Artech\GeneXus\GeneXusX. NOTE: You must not select a directory used by another GeneXus version.
3. Register your name and company name in the dialog box displayed after the Welcome window and the License Agreement.
5. After that, you will be able to indicate the Start Menu group, and whether you want to register the settings for your username only, or for all the users that share the PC.
6. The last dialog before the installation starts, let you indicate to install Ruby support.
7. Once the installation is complete, a dialog box with three options is displayed: Authorize GeneXus X (executes the GeneXus License Manager, from where you can activate the version), Run GeneXus X (launchs GeneXus), and Finish Setup.
Can I have more than one GeneXus X Evolution 1 installation in the same PC?
At the end of the setup process a Genexus.exe /install operation is executed to register User Controls and Extensions. This process creates in the installation folder the files
needed for the standard GeneXus usage.
You can’t have more than one local installed version. When executing the setup for the second time, the previous installation is detected and a dialog box is displayed with the following options: Repair/Reinstall and Uninstall GeneXus X Evolution 1. These options apply to the previous installation.
However, it is possible to have any number of local working versions, just duplicating GeneXus root folder.
Also, you can have a local installation and use a network version by executing the Workstation Setup.
Can I have more than one GeneXus version installed on the same PC?
Yes, you can. The only constraint is that they must be installed on different directories.
Yes, a GeneXus version installed on a network disk can be shared with other users. They will need to run the Network Setup.