This article is an overview of GeneXus 16 Upgrade 5 features (compared to GeneXus 16 upgrade 4) and what needs to be taken into account to adopt it.
It has been released on August 23rd, 2019.
With this upgrade, you can develop Progressive Web Applications (PWA). It ships also overall build performance improvements and the GAM API as a Module
- Parallel Pattern instances generation ( SAC 43331 )
- Specification performance improvements (some objects that took minutes to be specified now take just a few seconds)
- Target Environment Update performance improvements
- Recommended steps to get these improvements
- Open the knowledge base with this upgrade, and then close it
- (This step executes an internal update to the Knowledge base)
- Run CheckKnowledgeBase Task to defrag the internal DB Indices (SAC 35851)
- GAM API is now a module, this is also for improving build performance. For more information, see SAC 45926.
- Designops: Import from Sketch
- iOS: XCode 10.3 now required
- Android: Internal refactorings for Android X
- Android: Internal refactoring for Android UCs. SAC#45944.
- Server-side of applications that use GAM can now run on serverless platforms (aka AWS API Gateway)
- Method NetworkID from ClientInformation EXO is deprecated. More Information: https://developer.android.com/preview/privacy/data-identifiers#device-ids
- SDTs and Collections (of SDTs and simple types) can be input parameters fo Data providers used by Query Viewer
- A Query can have hidden fields
- IIf function supported in Query Object
- Create a unit test for object feature improved. Now generates a pre-setted count of data sets.
- New feature: Export execution results to HTML document
- Bug fixes
- More at Changelog GXtest
: Knowledge Bases that have GAM (Enable Integrated Security property
= True) with GeneXus 16 Upgrade 5 or higher, once built, cannot be built again with a previous GeneXus version.
The conversion of the GAM API Objects to the GAM API Module (which happens when the GAM API Module is imported, committed or updated ) cannot be undone. So, first time a KB which uses GAM is open, message "After build this Knowledge Base Version with this GeneXus version, you will not be able to build it with a previous GeneXus version or upgrade" will appear.
- Before building the Knowledge Base with Upgrade 5 or higher, back it up or Freeze the version you are about to open, build or change.
- In GeneXus Server, back the Knowledge Bases up or freeze the versions before committing changes with Upgrade 5 to them.
Ref.: What is a Frozen Version?, Backup and Restore GeneXus Server databases, GeneXus FAQ/How do I backup a KB?
Please check these links for further features, compatibility aspects, issues and details of the already mentioned.
GeneXus for SAP: https://www.genexus.com/developers/rn?data=0;8;V16;5;V16;4;