This control allows you to display data associated with many records; depending on the GeneXus object, it also allows you to add, change and/or delete data.
It can be used in Transaction objects and Web Panel objects (also on Work Panel objects, Work With for Smart Devices object, Panel for Smart Devices object), and allows you to include both attributes and variables (including those of Bitmap data type/Image data type). When used in a transaction (grid with Base Table) it makes it possible to insert, change and/or delete records in the corresponding associated table. Also, if the Grid is used in a Web Panel (grid with/without Base Table, depending on whether it contains attributes and/or variables), it will display the data stored in tables.
To add a grid to the selected location, drag it from the Grid toolbox icon onto the Web Form. This will open the Selector window.
You can select multiples lines by clicking on them while holding down the Shift or Ctrl keys. When the selection is finished, the selected attributes and/or variables will be inserted into the grid. In this case, one column will be added for each one of them.
Columns can be exchanged. To do so, select the column to move and an arrow will be displayed that indicates the possible new location. To position a column, drop it at the desired location.
You can add more columns by right-clicking one of the attributes and selecting Add Atribute/Variable.... This will open the Insert Attribute/Variable window. You can also drag & drop an attribute/variable from the toolbox in the grid.
If you select the entire grid, the copy/cut/paste/etc. options will be available in the Edit option of the IDE; normal shortcuts (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, etc.) also work.
To quickly select a grid, position the mouse cursor on the upper part of the control, as shown in the figure below.
- Grids allow for paging, which can be automatically performed by GeneXus (read more about it here: Automatic paging in Grid control). Otherwise, paging can be performed by using specific methods for this purpose (read more about it here: Grid paging on the Web).
- Columns content can be ordered automatically, without the need of programming any additional code. The user can order the columns by clicking on the title of each of them, as the images below show:
- A Grid control with a base table in the web form loads automatically when filters related to it are entered. See more information here: Automatic Grid Refresh.
- Web Transaction grids have their features, wich we explain in detail here: Grids in Web Transactions.
- A Grid cannot be nested in another, but it can be contained inside a Free Style Grid control.
- By default, every attribute and variable inside a grid of a web panel are displayed at runtime as text, which means that they are read-only and cannot be changed. However, data can be accepted in grid variables depending on the programming of the events existing in the object. Read about it here: Working with Grids in Web Panels.