GeneXus integrates with AWS Distro for OpenTelemetry to compile metrics and traces of applications, offering a comprehensive approach to application observability. This guide outlines the steps to configure and utilize AWS Distro for OpenTelemetry with your GeneXus applications.
Follow these steps for a successful integration:
- Set the Observability Provider Property: Choose 'AWS Distro for OpenTelemetry' as your observability provider.
- Execute the OpenTelemetry Collector: Install and run the collector based on the official guide.
- Configure the Environment Variables: Set necessary environment variables in your app’s Docker image.
- Configure AWS Credentials: Ensure your collector has the appropriate AWS credentials with minimal required permissions.
- Execute the App’s Docker Image: Run your application’s Docker image with the configured settings.
Select AWS Distro for OpenTelemetry in the Observability Provider property to integrate AWS telemetry services with your application.
Refer to the Getting Started guide to install and run the OpenTelemetry collector, which is essential for telemetry data collection.
Set the following environment variables in your application's Docker image for proper telemetry data export:
For detailed information on SDK configuration, visit: SDK Configuration.
Assign the necessary AWS Credentials to the collector. These credentials should adhere to the minimal IAM Policy requirements for security and efficiency.
Finally, execute your application's Docker image with the configured settings.
It is possible to execute OpenTelemetry through Docker Compose.
You may execute the following compose.yaml that has the configured collector connected to the GeneXus application to be deployed.
# ADOT Collector
Generator: Java, .NET
This functionality is available since GeneXus 18 Upgrade 4.
Log settings with environment variables