This article is an overview of GeneXus 18 Upgrade 4 features (compared to GeneXus 18 Upgrade 3) and what needs to be taken into account to adopt it.
It was released on July 4th, 2023.
This upgrade fosters modularization of KBs, allows observability via the OpenTelemetry standard, and reinforces our commitment to future-proofing by updating the Angular generator to generate Angular 16 and the SAP Fiori Pattern to support SAP Horizon. It is a required update for those who use Google Analytics in Web applications. Furthermore, it improves stability and security as usual.
- Automatic dependencies management: Nuget is supported as a Modules Server type. As of now, the Nuget repository manager is recommended for storing modules because it automatically handles dependencies. If you have on Nuget a Module A that depends on B, and that in turn depends on C, when you install A on a KB it automatically brings B and C. This greatly simplifies module management and usage.
- Google Analytics Control has been updated to support Google Analytics 4
- Java: PDFBox and iText 2.x or 8.x can be used to generate PDF Reports. It's important to notice that each has different licensing. More information at PDF Reports Library property.
In upcoming versions, the .NET generator will also support an open source library and iText 8.
- The generator now generates code updated to Angular 16.
- Performance improvements to the UI Attribute/Variable Edit and TextBlock controls. Now they are simpler, lighter, and faster.
- Improved lazy loading of images. A library is no longer used to implement lazy loading of images; instead, the native implementation of browsers is used. This removes additional weight from the initial load and additionally provides a time saving of a few milliseconds in loading the images.
- Popups can now be closed with the Escape key on the keyboard.
- New Sample: WanderNest - Online Booking Sample
Cloud Native & DevOps
- The grid of GXflow's Inbox now has filters by column.
- Webdrivers are managed automatically and not distributed by GXtest.
- Improved CompareImage command allows setting color difference tolerance.
- Set generated folders and modules as such for preventing GXserver conflicts when committing/updating them.
GeneXus for SAP System pack
- Google Analytics 4: A GA-4 code has to be used in the Google Analytics Control
- .NET 6 SDK is required for the IDE (Query object, Dashboard object)
- Java: Support for java.time (JSR-310). This may affect compatibility; you should use the latest Java VMs. See SAC #52835.
- Apple: XCode 14.3 is supported. See SAC #52826.
- Angular: Updated to Angular 16.
- Android: Intel announced that HAXM will be discontinued. Therefore, it is recommended to have GVM (for AMD processors) or WHPX (for Intel or AMD processors) installed and enabled so that the x86 Emulator uses one of them.
Please check these links for additional features, compatibility aspects, issues, and details:
GeneXus Server: https://www.genexus.com/developers/rn?data=0;6;V18;4;V18;3;