This document first states an overview of the compatibility issues or considerations you may need to take into account when adopting GeneXus 16 and, afterward, links to more details.
There is no Knowledge Base conversion from GeneXus 16 to GeneXus 17. GeneXus 17, technically speaking, is just an upgrade of GeneXus 16 Upgrade 11 and so is very easy to adopt.
To open a Knowledge Base (KB) that is already on GeneXus 16 with GeneXus 17 follow these steps:
1.A) If your KB is not connected to a GeneXus Server: Open it with GeneXus 17.
Note: Since no conversion happens, you will be able to open it with Genexus 16 if you need to return back
1.B) If your KB is connected to a GeneXus Server
1.B.1) If you decide to install GeneXus Server on another instance
1.B.2) If you update to GeneXus 17 your GeneXus Server 16 instance
- Update the instance to GeneXus Server 17. Do it following the steps described at GeneXus Server Setup (Section "Update an existing GeneXus Server Instance")
- Open your KB with GeneXus 76
2) Build All/Rebuild All (*)
If your KB uses GeneXus Access Manager or BPM this process may update the associated database schemas. See below for more information.
(*) If you generate for Android or iOS,
- delete the <Environment Directory>\mobile\iOS folder before doing a Rebuild with GeneXus 17.
To compile iOS Smart Devices Apps,
- Delete the content of ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData (for each user of the mac that is about to compile code)
- Delete the folder “build” that is in ~/Projects/<KB_NAME>/<ENVIRONMET_NAME>/<MAIN_NAME>
3) Check out Navigation changes using the Navigation Comparer. Note that navigations may change given several navigation improvements. Check out 'Navigation Improvements' section at this page.
4) Test it
5) If the KB is connected to GeneXus Server, commit changes.
- If you are using Extensions or Patterns provided by others, please contact their manufacturers, because they need to provide a new version of them.
Consider the following Extensions and Patterns Compatibility in GeneXus 17 if you provide Extensions or Patterns.
It is the product of a rename, it is the formerly known 'Smart Devices generator'
- Requirements changes, please refer to
- Smart Devices Generator has been renamed to Native Mobile Generator
- Objects have been renamed
- Controls have been renamed
Changes in Work with for Web Pattern
- Objects generated by the pattern begin to reference the SDT 'GridState' located in the GeneXus.Common module instead of the located in the Root module. The new SDT has structural changes too, more information at State persistence of grids (and SAC 47912)
Check this list for a detailed list of issues that may affect compatibility. Note that you can select the version you are and the one you go to, to get the complete list and analyze it.
The following document states the steps to do when coming from previous versions: Converting Knowledge Bases to GeneXus 16, 17 or higher