The following is a list of the guaranteed and necessary requirements to run GeneXus 18.
GeneXus IDE runs on the Operating System Microsoft Windows.
||* Processor: minimum of 1 GHz (multi-core recommended)
* Memory: minimum of 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended; 16 GB recommended to generate Android applications)
* Hard disk: minimum of 1.2 GB of disk space for the installation. To generate applications you will need additional space or a shared disk unit to create the knowledge bases, and generate the code
* Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1, 4.7.2 or 4.8 (Check its requirements, specifically the supported Windows Versions here(1))
* Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or higher (Express, Standard or any other Edition) or LocalDB(4)
* Microsoft Internet Explorer when using Windows 10 or prior. Minimum Version: 6.0 SP1 (11 or higher recommended)(2)
* Apache Maven 3.6.1 or higher(3)
(1) - For Live Editing, Windows 8.1 or higher is required.
(2) - Internet Explorer base libraries (MSHTML) are used for the HTML Editor in design time. These base libraries are installed in Windows 10 or prior versions as part of the Internet Explorer feature and are part of Windows 11 ref..
(3) - For installing or distributing modules.
(4) - LocalDB is only supported to create a Knowledge Base, not for use for the generated applications.
Furthermore, the user running GeneXus IDE has to have administrator rights.
||* ADO .NET provider associated with the selected DBMS
||* .NET SDK 6
||* Oracle JDK or Open JDK 1.8 to Open JDK 19(2)
* Servlet API implementation file for Web environments (for example servlet-api.jar file, 3.0 or higher)
||* Apple Requirements
* Android Requirements
||* Angular requirements
(1) - Apache Tomcat (7.0.67 or higher) is the only servlets server supported for prototyping locally.
(2) - JDK 11 to JDK 19 is recommended to improve compilation performance.
(1) - Framework 4.7.2 when SameSite cookie attribute property is set to a value different from 'Do not specify'.
(2) - Internet Information Server 8 when using Server.Socket external object make sure to install the windows feature 'WebSocket Protocol' module in the IIS 8 section.
- Internet Information Server 7 or higher when using Azure.
(3) - When using Apache Tomcat, use version 7.0.67 or higher.
(4) - They are obtained in build time. See more information in DBMS Drivers.
(5) - The .NET Core Windows Server Hosting Bundle is for running the application on IIS. More information at .NET Generator Requirements.
- To enable the 'WebSocket Protocol' module in Windows you have to follow these steps: "Turn Windows features on or off" > Internet Information Services > World Wide Web Services > Application Development Features -> WebSocket Protocol. It requires restarting the machine.
- To verify that .NET Framework 4.6 is installed, go to "Turn Windows features on or off" and check .Net framework 4.6 Advanced Services.
- Solutions for the case that a 404 or 500.19 error occurs.
When generating applications that use databases, the supported DBMS's are the following:
(1) - .NET specific: DRDA protocol requires to be enabled and therefore the minimum Informix version is 11.x. More information at .NET Generator Requirements and Enabling DRDA on Informix.
(2) - Using GeneXus Access Manager or GXflow the supported version for Mysql is 5.0.3 or higher.
(3) - Using GXflow the supported version is Oracle 9 or higher.
(4) - Using GXflow the supported version is SQL Server is 2012 or higher. Using GeneXus Access Manager the supported version is 2008 or higher. Any Edition of SQL Server is supported.
(5) - SQLite is part of Android and iOS Operating Systems and its version is defined by Android and iOS Requirements.
(6) LocalDB is not supported.
See also Cloud Database for more options.
||Minimum Version with Restrictions(1)
||Current - 1, ESR(4)
||Current - 1
||Current - 1
||Current - 1
||Check footnotes (1)(2)(3)(4)
(1) - Web applications require Browsers with CSS Cascade Layers support. Also, native mobile apps that load those web applications using Component domain (Webview), require devices with the corresponding browser version or an up-to-date base software.
The following is a detailed list of browsers that support this feature https://caniuse.com/css-cascade-layers. Note that on Apple devices, iOS 15.4 or higher is required. Furthermore, Android devices require an updated Android System Webview as stated in on https://caniuse.com/css-cascade-layers.
Note: Although as of November 2022, 89% of the browsers support CSS Cascade Layers (source: https://caniuse.com/css-cascade-layers), GeneXus 18 upgrade 1 will remove this requirement for applications that use Theme object to improve compatibility.
(2) - If Server.Socket external object, ProgressIndicator external object, Responsive Web Design (RWD) features are used these are the minimum supported versions.
As the generated web front end is, in many of its functionalities, based on jQuery 3.5.1, Browser support is mainly tied to https://jquery.com/browser-support/
(3) - In all cases, the latest available browser version is recommended, primarily because of improvements related to performance and security.
(4) - Refer to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/enterprise/ for ESR meaning.
Browsers must support the es6-module. The following is a detailed list of browsers that support this feature https://caniuse.com/es6-module.
More information: Angular Generator Browser Support.
Since GeneXus IDE runs on Windows, you need to run it on Virtual Machines with that Operating System and the associated requirements mentioned above when your base OS is Mac OS or Linux.
Read How to prepare a Mac with ARM architecture for GeneXus.
GeneXus Web will be an alternative to this in the future.