The following is a list of the guaranteed and necessary requirements to run GeneXus 17.
GeneXus IDE runs on the Operating System Microsoft Windows.
||* Processor: minimum of 1 GHz (multi-core recommended)
* Memory: minimum of 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended; 16 GB recommended to generate Android applications)
* Hard disk: minimum of 1.2 GB of disk space for the installation. To generate applications you will need additional space or a shared disk unit to create the knowledge bases, and generate the code
* Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1, 4.7.2 or 4.8 (Check its requirements, specifically the supported Windows Versions here(1))
* Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or higher (Express, Standard or any other Edition) or LocalDB(4)
* Microsoft Internet Explorer. Minimum Version: 6.0 SP1 (11 or higher recommended)(2)
* Apache Maven 3.6.1 or higher(3)
(1) For Live Editing, Windows 8.1 or higher is required.
(2) Internet Explorer base libraries are used for web (HTML) editor. See below "Supported Internet Browsers" for application runtime requirements.
(3) For installing or distributing modules.
(4) LocalDB is only supported to create a Knowledge Base, not for use for the generated applications.
Furthermore, the user running GeneXus IDE has to have administrator rights.
(1) - Apache Tomcat (7.0.67 or higher) is the only servlets server supported for prototyping locally.
(2) - Knowledge base Navigator does not support prototyping Offline Apps. Take a look at Offline Native Mobile Applications Requirements.
(1) - Framework 4.6.1 when using GAM SAML Authentication with .Net generated applications. For more information see SAC 45284
(2) - Internet Information Server 8 when using Server.Socket external object make sure to install the windows feature 'WebSocket Protocol' module in the IIS 8 section.
- Internet Information Server 7 or higher when using Azure.
(3) - When using Apache Tomcat, use version 7.0.67 or higher.
- Since GeneXus 16 upgrade 4 the Servlets Server requires the support of Servlet 3.0
Warning: We recommend installing Apache Tomcat from .exe (do not download the .zip option because you could encounter these situations: SAC # 31319)
(4) - Redistributable JDBC Drivers are included in GeneXus Setup and copied in build time under <Knowledge base Environment Directory>\<Drivers> and referenced in Classpath property.
(5) - The .NET Core Windows Server Hosting Bundle is for running the application on IIS. More information at .NET Core Generator Requirements.
- To enable the 'WebSocket Protocol' module in Windows follow these steps: "Turn Windows features on or off" -> Internet Information Services ->World Wide Web Services -> Application Development Features -> WebSocket Protocol. It requires restarting the machine
- To verify that .NET Framework 4.6 is installed, go to "Turn Windows features on or off" and check .Net framework 4.6 Advanced Services
When generating applications that use databases, the supported DBMS's are the following:
(1) - Using GeneXus Access Manager or GXflow the supported version for Mysql is 5.0.3 or higher.
(2) - Using GXflow the supported version is Oracle 9 or higher.
(3) - Using GXflow the supported version is SQL Server is 2012 or higher. Using GeneXus Access Manager the supported version is 2008 or higher. Any Edition of SQL Server is supported.
(4) - SQLite is part of Android and iOS Operating Systems and its version is defined by Android and iOS Requirements
(5) LocalDB is not supported.
See also Cloud Database for more options.
||Minimum Version with Restrictions(1)
|Internet Explorer (4)
||11 or higher
||Current - 1, ESR(5)
||Current - 1
||Current - 1
||Current - 1
(1) - Not all features can be used with these versions. See (2) for more information.
(2) - If Server.Socket external object, ProgressIndicator external object, Responsive Web Design (RWD) features are used this are the minimum supported versions.
(3) - In all cases, the latest available browser version is recommended, primarily because of improvements related to performance and security.
(4) - This browser does not support Flex Layout Container and Dashboard object.
(5) - Refer to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/enterprise/ for ESR meaning.
(6) - Note that current versions of Edge are based on Chromium and older ones (like version 20), and now are referred to as 'legacy' in Microsoft's documentation (ref.: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026494/microsoft-edge-difference-between-legacy).
: As the generated web front end in .NET, .NET Core and Java is, in many of its functionalities, based on jQuery 3.5.1, Browser support is mainly tied to https://jquery.com/browser-support/
Since GeneXus IDE runs on Windows, you need to run it on Virtual Machines with that Operating System and the associated requirements mentioned above when your base OS is Mac OS or Linux.
GeneXus M will be an alternative to this in the future.