The following is a list of the guaranteed and necessary requirements to run GeneXus 17.
GeneXus IDE runs on the Operating System Microsoft Windows.
||* Processor: minimum of 1 GHz (multi-core recommended)
* Memory: minimum of 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended; 16 GB recommended to generate Android applications)
* Hard disk: minimum of 1.2 GB of disk space for the installation. To generate applications you will need additional space or a shared disk unit to create the knowledge bases, and generate the code
* Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1, 4.7.2 or 4.8 (Check its requirements, specifically the supported Windows Versions here(1))
* Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or higher (Express, Standard or any other Edition) or LocalDB(4)
* Microsoft Internet Explorer. Minimum Version: 6.0 SP1 (11 or higher recommended)(2)
* Apache Maven 3.6.1 or higher(3)
(1) For Live Editing, Windows 8.1 or higher is required.
(2) Internet Explorer base libraries are used for web (HTML) editor. See below "Supported Internet Browsers" for application runtime requirements.
(3) For installing or distributing modules.
(4) LocalDB is only supported to create a Knowledge Base, not for use for the generated applications.
Furthermore, the user running GeneXus IDE has to have administrator rights.
||* ADO .NET provider associated with the selected DBMS
||* .NET SDK 6
||* Oracle JDK or Open JDK 1.8 or higher
* Servlet API implementation file for Web environments (for example servlet-api.jar file, 3.0 or higher)
||* Apple Requirements
* Android Requirements
||* Angular requirements
(1) - Apache Tomcat (7.0.67 or higher) is the only servlets server supported for prototyping locally.
(2) - Knowledge Base Navigator does not support prototyping Offline Apps. Take a look at Offline Native Mobile Applications Requirements.
(1) - Framework 4.7.2 when SameSite cookie attribute property is set to a value different from 'Do not specify'.
(2) - Internet Information Server 8 when using Server.Socket external object make sure to install the windows feature 'WebSocket Protocol' module in the IIS 8 section.
- Internet Information Server 7 or higher when using Azure.
(3) - When using Apache Tomcat, use version 7.0.67 or higher.
(4) - Redistributable JDBC Drivers are included in GeneXus Setup and copied in build time under <Knowledge base Environment Directory>\<Drivers> and referenced in Classpath property.
(5) - The .NET Core Windows Server Hosting Bundle is for running the application on IIS. More information at .NET Generator Requirements.
- To enable the 'WebSocket Protocol' module in Windows follow these steps: "Turn Windows features on or off" -> Internet Information Services ->World Wide Web Services -> Application Development Features -> WebSocket Protocol. It requires restarting the machine
- To verify that .NET Framework 4.6 is installed, go to "Turn Windows features on or off" and check .Net framework 4.6 Advanced Services
When generating applications that use databases, the supported DBMS's are the following:
(1) - .NET specific: DRDA protocol requires to be enabled and therefore the minimum Informix version is 11.x. More information at .NET Generator Requirements and Enabling DRDA on Informix.
(2) - Using GeneXus Access Manager or GXflow the supported version for Mysql is 5.0.3 or higher.
(3) - Using GXflow the supported version is Oracle 9 or higher.
(4) - Using GXflow the supported version is SQL Server is 2012 or higher. Using GeneXus Access Manager the supported version is 2008 or higher. Any Edition of SQL Server is supported.
(5) - SQLite is part of Android and iOS Operating Systems and its version is defined by Android and iOS Requirements.
(6) LocalDB is not supported.
See also Cloud Database for more options.
||Minimum Version with Restrictions(1)
|Internet Explorer (4)
||11 or higher
||Current - 1, ESR(5)
||Current - 1
||Current - 1
||Current - 1
(1) - Not all features can be used with these versions. See (2) for more information.
(2) - If Server.Socket external object, ProgressIndicator external object, Responsive Web Design (RWD) features are used this are the minimum supported versions.
(3) - In all cases, the latest available browser version is recommended, primarily because of improvements related to performance and security.
(4) - This browser does not support Design System Object, Flex Layout Container and Dashboard object.
(5) - Refer to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/enterprise/ for ESR meaning.
(6) - Note that current versions of Edge are based on Chromium and older ones (like version 20), and now are referred to as 'legacy' in Microsoft's documentation (ref.: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026494/microsoft-edge-difference-between-legacy).
Browsers must support the es6-module. More information: Angular Generator Browser Support
Since GeneXus IDE runs on Windows, you need to run it on Virtual Machines with that Operating System and the associated requirements mentioned above when your base OS is Mac OS or Linux.
GeneXus Web will be an alternative to this in the future.